First Period of EuthanasiaNamed after their location „T4", these headquarters listed all allegedly „unfit for work" and „incurably diseased" inmates of institutions and organized the holocaust in six specially established gas-chamber sites in the German Empire:
|Gas-chamber institutions 1940/41|
|Brandenburg upon Have||9772 victims|
|Bernburg upon Saale||8601 victims|
|Hadamar near Limburg||10072 victims|
|Hartheim near Linz||18269 victims|
False Information and forged death certificates were sent to the families. On request they received the alleged ashes of their deceased next of kin. Until the end of the gas killings in August 1941, more than 70 000 people had died in the gas-chambers, screened as shower-rooms. In 1942 the gas extermination institutions were reconverted to asylums or were used to kill inmates of concentration camps. The bulk of the „T4" staff moved to concentration camps in Poland where they were involved in the „extermination of the European Jews".